The Ten Commandments of being in a local band
Ok I know just reading the title you’re thinking “who does this guy think he is?” or “what a giant, flaming douche”, to which I reply: you’re probably right, but read on anyways! I don’t claim these as the ultimate list or pretend to know everything, but instead I think of these as 10 things you may want to take into consideration before your next gig. Just a simple check-list if you will. So without further ado I present you with my 10 commandments of being in a local band, enjoy!
1. Thou shalt stick around (inside) for other bands, and not criticize them to your friends/fans while they are playing.
2. Thou shalt thank the owner/promoter/sound guy.
3. Thou shalt not complain if your set list gets cut shorter than you had originally intended, and take things in stride.
4. Thou shalt load in/out in a timely manner for the other bands to do the same.
5. Thou shalt promote your shows and send the club fliers.
6. Thou shalt not be greedy and remember to give a fair cut of the pay to any touring bands, because one day that could (and hopefully will) be you.
7. Thou shalt not get too drunk before thou play, unless you are Baby Baby.
8. Thou shalt not publicly criticize the city, bar or other bands unless something immoral is going on that needs to be brought to light (or you are Black Flag).
9. Thou shalt not covet they neighbors career or success.
10. Thou shalt remember thou were once fans also and be gracious, hospitable and welcoming to your audience before, during and after the show.